One-Pot Tuscan Chicken Gnocchi Bake
I love a good, quick, and easy one-pot meal. Truly, it doesn’t get a lot easier than that! And clean-up is a breeze! Add to all those features that the meal is absolutely delicious? Count me in, Mamas! This recipe was born from cleaning out our fridge and pantry one day and finding that I had tons of odds and ends in the fridge. So I put my thinking cap on and this is what I came up with! I hope you love this one-pot Tuscan chicken gnocchi bake as much as we do!
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pound cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 package prepared gnocchi
- 1.5 cups chicken broth
- 1 Tablespoon fresh basil
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
Recommended Kitchen Equipment:
This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase something from those links, I may make a small commission. See our full Disclosure and Disclaimer Policy here.
- Lodge 3.6 Quart Enamel Cast Iron Casserole Dish with Lid – This is an alternative to the pan I’m using in these pictures and it would work really well for this recipe!
- Le Creuset Enameled Cast Iron Signature Braiser, 5 qt. – This is the pan I’m using in the pictures. It is REALLY expensive, but it’s truly the best pan I’ve ever had and I use it ALL the time. If you have ever been thinking about investing in Le Creuset — truly, it’s worth it and you get what you pay for with that cookware. This isn’t sponsored by Le Creuset, I’m just a fan!
- HOMWE Kitchen Cutting Board (3-Piece Set) – you need to have a couple of good cutting boards for cooking and I love this set!
- J.A. HENCKELS INTERNATIONAL CLASSIC Hollow Edge Santoku Knife – My Santoku knife is my favorite in the entire kitchen. It chops up everything I need and I reach for it over any other knife I have, 10 times over.
- Gorilla Grip Slip Resistant Silicone Oven Mitts – These pots will be crazy hot coming out of the oven! I love these oven mitts!
Cooking Instructions for One-Pot Tuscan Chicken Gnocchi Bake:
Preheat oven to 375*.Use a skillet that can move from the stove to the oven that is heat safe. I use my braising pan because it easily transfers from stovetop to oven. If you don’t have a skillet or braising pan that does this, you can wrap the handle of your skillet in aluminum foil to protect the plastic/rubber and put it in the oven if necessary. Also, as an alternative, you could always transfer the mixture in the skillet into a casserole dish and finish baking that way. You can also just finish this dish on the stovetop with a lid, but I think baking it in the oven finishes it better and it adds a little more to the dish.
Cut the 2 chicken breasts in half to make 4 thin chicken breasts. Sautee chicken breasts in olive oil until browned on both sides. Remove from pan and set to the side on a plate. See all that browned goodness that’s left in the pan down there? That’s allllllll the flavor and we are about to capture it all!
(While the chicken is cooking, go ahead and chop up your spinach and tomatoes!)
Add butter and garlic to the pan and let butter melt and garlic saute for one minute. Then add the oregano, tomatoes, and spinach to the pan and sauté for several minutes until the spinach has wilted and the tomatoes have started to break down and get soft. The acid from the tomatoes will deglaze the pan and lift all the flavor and brown off the bottom of the pan. This is where all the magic flavor comes from!
Stir in the gnocchi and mix well with all other ingredients.
Add in cream and chicken broth and mix well.
Once the liquid mixture is bubbling, add in the chicken back into the pan. Place the skillet in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes uncovered.
Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese and fresh cut basil for serving.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)
Can I use different vegetables?
Yes!!! Use whatever you have on hand! This would be amazing with zucchini or summer squash! Asparagus would totally work too! Use what you have, always! Don’t go buying ingredients when you have something that would work in your fridge. This recipe is perfect to empty out your veggie drawer and use all the odds and ends that are leftovers!
Would other meats besides chicken work?
Totally! This would work with pork too! It would be delicious with steak, but I’d suggest cooking the steak separately if you are very particular about how cooked or not cooked your steaks. This can also just be a vegetarian dish and wouldn’t have to have any kind of meat at all! Just add more veggies!
What is Gnochhi?
In case you aren’t familiar, gnocchi is an Italian potato dumpling. They are like little clouds of pasta-y potato-y goodness and I, for one, am OBSESSED with them! They cook so quickly! And they are delicious! And can be added to so many dishes! In so many ways! You can totally make your own fresh gnocchi, you can use leftover mashed potatoes to make gnocchi, or you can do what I did and buy the box of already prepared gnocchi. That’s the quick route for sure, and it’s turned out perfectly every time. At my grocery store, the gnocchi is in the pasta aisle. It’s quick and delicious — you must try it!
What else do you serve this dinner with?
Usually I just serve it with some crusty toasted bread. You could totally throw a salad on the side for good measure though!
Wrap Up – One-Pot Tuscan Chicken Gnocchi Bake
Dinner doesn’t get much easier or tastier than this recipe! This is a weeknight wonder, ready in 30ish minutes! I love that it finishes in the oven. It gives me that time to finish pulling the rest of dinner together, to help with homework, clean up a little, or just sit for a few minutes while it finishes cooking in the oven. You could use whatever ingredients you have on hand and make endless combinations of this recipe as well. One-Pot Tuscan Chicken Gnocchi Bake is a winner every time! Let me know if you make the recipe and how you like it! Until then, Mamas… Just Keep Shuffling!
One Pot Tuscan Chicken Gnocchi Bake
- oven-proof skillet
- 1 pound chicken breasts (boneless, skinless) 2 large or 4 small
- 2 TBSP Butter
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 pound cherry tomatoes
- ½ tsp oregano, dried
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 16 ounces prepared gnocchi
- 1 ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 TBSP basil, FRESH
- 1 cup parmesan cheese optional
- 1 cup spinach fresh
- Preheat oven to 375*.
- Use a skillet that can move from the stove to the oven that is heat safe.
- Cut the 2 chicken breasts in half to make 4 thin chicken breasts.1 pound chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
- Sautee chicken breasts in olive oil until browned on both sides. Remove from pan and set to the side on a plate.2 TBSP olive oil
- Cut tomatoes in half and tear spinach into smaller pieces.1 pound cherry tomatoes
- Add garlic, butter, oregano, tomatoes, and spinach to the pan and sauté for several minutes until the spinach has wilted and the tomatoes have started to break down and get soft.2 TBSP Butter, 1 clove garlic, 1 pound cherry tomatoes, ½ tsp oregano, dried, 1 cup spinach
- Add in cream and chicken broth and mix well.1 ½ cup chicken broth, ½ cup heavy cream
- Once the liquid mixture is bubbling, add in the gnocchi and mix well.16 ounces prepared gnocchi
- Add chicken back into the pan.
- Place the skillet in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes uncovered.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese and fresh basil for serving.1 TBSP basil, FRESH, 1 cup parmesan cheese
Excellent recipe! The only thing that was missing was the amount of spinach to use, but no problem I just added approximately 3 big handfuls. Will be our weekly dinner to have. Just added some Texas toast to sop up the delicious sauce!
Oh Gosh! Thank you so much for letting me know! I fixed it! I usually use about a cup of fresh spinach, but you are correct, you could use as much or as little as you’d like! Thanks so much for trying it! It’s one of my absolute favorites!