Thanksgiving is right around the corner. And I have to say, Thanksgiving is without a doubt one of my very favorite holidays. It has the best food! And while the traditional turkey dinner is always just amazing, it’s the leftovers that really fascinate me. I’m not big on any warmed up leftovers. I like to re-make the food into something new. And giving leftovers a makeover is exactly what inspired this article! This is my Leftover Lovin’: Thanksgiving Edition!
I think planning the menu and actually cooking the food is the most fun part of Thanksgiving. I wanted to make this post early so that while you are planning your menu, you can also plan for your leftover transformations! There are a ton of ideas here about each Thanksgiving dish and how to re-make it into something new and fun.
Let’s Talk Turkey
There are SO many things you can do for leftover turkey! Obviously, you can make the world’s best leftover turkey sandwiches. But there are SO many more ideas I have for you!
P.S. – If you hear leftover Thanksgiving sandwich and immediately think of Ross on “Friends” saying “My Sandwich? MYYYY SAAAAANNNNDDDWIIICHHH?? Did you mistake it for your leftover thanksgiving sandwich with the moistmaker in the middle?”… then you are my people and we need to be best friends immediately.
But I digress. Back to leftover turkey. Substitute it freely into your favorite recipes just like you would use chicken. Make enchiladas, pot pie, soups, chili, and turkey salad. You name it, you
Turkey Recipe Round-Up:
Here are some of the yummiest looking recipes I saw when I was researching this topic! (Throw your leftover veggies in these too!)
- Turkey Enchiladas from Gimme Some Oven
- Leftover Turkey Stuffed Peppers from Delish
- Leftover Turkey Chili from Food Network
- The Best Leftover Turkey Salad from Just a Taste
We don’t ever have mashed potatoes leftover. Because why would you? They are whipped potato buttery velvet deliciousness. BUT, if you do have leftovers, there are actually quite a few leftover treats you can make. Think pizza, shepherd’s pie, and gnocchi just to name a few!
- Leftover Mashed Potato Pizza from Food Network
- Leftover Mashed Potato Shepherd’s Pie from Unsophisticook
- Mashed Potato Gnocchi from Life As A Strawberry
Mashed Potatoes As Dessert?
Ya heard me. Mashed potatoes. In. A. Dessert.
- Chocolate Mashed Potato Cake from I Heart Eating
- Mashed Potato Truffles from Dessert for Two
- Leftover Mashed Potato Zeppole from Food Network (mini-donuts out of mashed potatoes?! Life may never be the same!!)
- Mashed Potato Candy from Food.com
I’m not a huge sweet potato fan. But I will for sure be eating all the marshmallows off the top of the casserole. THAT is one of the best parts of Thanksgiving.
Turns out though, there’s a LOT of ways to reimagine your leftover sweet potatoes. Think waffles, soups, and even desserts!
Sweet Potato Leftover Recipes:
- Sausage and Sweet Potato Soup from Spicy Southern Kitchen
- Leftover Sweet Potato Hummus from Delish
- Sweet Potato Cranberry Doughnuts from Taste of Home
- Sweet Potato Waffles from All Recipes
- Leftover Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie from Better Homes & Gardens
The dressing is the highlight of Thanksgiving for me. AND it’s one of the few leftovers I’ll gladly heat up exactly as is and not change a thing. But I realize I’m probably in the minority on that. So, I went in search of some great leftover dressing recipes. Turns out there are a TON of ways to reinvent your dressing!
- Leftover Stuffing Waffles from Good Housekeeping
- Cheesy Breakfast Stuffing Cakes from Well Plated By Erin
Bacon-WrappedStuffing Bites from Tablespoon
- Gobbler Cakes from Taste of Home (OMG – Think Thanksgiving Crabcake!)
- Stuffing Crust Turkey Pot Pie from Taste of Home
Ok, maybe I do need to branch out and try some leftover dressing recipes!! Cause those all look absolutely amazing. Stuffing crust turkey pot pie! WHAT!!!! That’s happening this year!
I think cranberry sauce is one of the most underrated parts of Thanksgiving! It’s absolutely delicious and there are SOOOO many possibilities for the leftovers.
- Homemade Pop-Tarts from The Pioneer Woman (use the sauce as the filling!!)
- Leftover Cranberry Sauce Scones from Food.com
- Cranberry BBQ Crock Pot Meatballs from The Chunky Chef
- Cranberry Maple Syrup from Mom Advice
- Leftover Cranberry Sauce Apple Crisp from Just a Taste
I’m not gonna lie — I’m way more excited about the cranberry sauce leftovers than the actual cranberry sauce! These all look SO good!
There are always a good amount of leftover veggies from your Thanksgiving meal. These are super easy to use up! You can throw them in so many different recipes!
- Add to stir fry or fried rice
- Put them all in an omelet or frittata
- Add to soup
- Add to a pasta dish
- Make them into their own soup like The Spruce Eats did!
Pumpkin Pie Leftovers
We usually have a few desserts at our Thanksgiving, which almost always means leftover pumpkin pie. And of course, you COULD just eat the leftover pie as is. But where is the fun in that when you could make some of these recipes instead?? Check these out!
- Pumpkin Pie Stuffed French Toast from Allrecipies
- Pumpkin Pie Brulee from Food Network
- Pumpkin Pie Milkshake from Extra Crispy
Just have leftover pumpkin pie filling?
- Easy Pumpkin Pie Cake Bars from Scattered Thoughts of A Crafty Mom
- Pumpkin-Chocolate Brownies from Southern Living
- Pumpkin Crunch from Paula Deen
- Pumpkin Granola from Two Peas and Their Pod
Use ALL the Leftovers at Once
There are tons of recipes for leftover casseroles and dishes that would use up a lot of leftovers at one time and make a really nice meal for a crowd.
- Leftover Thanksgiving Casserole from Family Favorite Recipes
- Thanksgiving Leftovers Casserole from Taste of Home
- Thanksgiving Egg Rolls from Delish
- Thanksgiving Gumbo
This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase something from those links, I may make a small commission. See our full Disclosure and Disclaimer Policy here.
Handy Gadgets: Help The Leftovers!
Here are some of my favorite kitchen gadget staples that you need to help you with your Thanksgiving Feast, the leftovers and BEYOND!
- Immersion Blender – For all that blending for soups!
- Big 9×13 Ceramic Casserole Dish – for dressing and leftover casseroles!
- Cutting Board Set – multiples save you having to clean up every time you need the cutting board!
- Silicone Baking Mats – for no sticking AND easy cleanup!
- Pie Dishes – For pie, pot pie, crisps and beyond!
- Oven Tiered Roasting Rack – For baking multiple things at once!
- Disposable Food Storage Containers – Stackable and Give-Away-Able! No worries about returning these!
Wrap Up – Leftover Lovin’: Thanksgiving Edition
Thanksgiving leftovers really do give you a blank canvas to get a little creative! I love that there are so many things you can do with each leftover dish! Or if you want to throw it all in a casserole, you can certainly do that too. And as an added bonus, using up all these leftovers means easy dinners for you for days after the holiday. That’ll be nice for you to rest a bit and enjoy the holiday weekend! I hope you try some of these recipes. I know I’m going to! Let me know what you try! And as always, just keep shuffling!
- Green Apple Cabbage Summer Coleslaw Recipe
- Simple Slow-Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Leftover Lovin’ – Easter Edition